Thursday, October 31, 2013

Post-Grad House of Horrors

Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday
(after the entire Christmas season, obvi)
so a Halloween-y blog post was in order.
Everything about Halloween is wonderful.
It is seriously the perfect childhood holiday.
Costumes are great, staying up late on a school night is always fun,
being scared with no real fear is fantastic, and the movies are solid.
And candy. Caaaaandy.

As a kid, I ate up those ghost hunter, "true tales" shows
that came on the Travel Channel all through the month of October. 
I had a whole list of abandoned mental hospitals, prisons, and hotels
that I wanted to visit. 
I didn't necessarily believe in anything supernatural; 
it's just that the possibility was so dang cool. 

The things that scared me then aren't the things that scare me now. 
In fact, Young Mary would be confused & probably a little embarrassed
about her future fears. 

But IF my current fears were turned into a Halloween attraction:

Welcome to Mary's Post-Grad House of Horrors

«Insurance»
Oh, the humanity. 
Seriously, just the thought of having to go off of my parents' insurance
makes my heart speed up. 
With what I'm currently making & the numbers I'm hearing about Obamacare, 
I literally couldn't afford healthcare. 
I guess there's always selling organs on the black market...
[Sidenote: Speaking of the ACA, 
I feel like Obama's 5-year plan was just as well thought-out
as mine was...]
«Children»
I want a bunch. 
Like, a litter. 
It wouldn't even offend me if the femi-nazis called me a "puppy mill"
because pups are awesome & I want a Weasley-esque family. 
BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.
Having a kid right now would be like removing all of the lifeboats from the Titanic. 
I'm not doing well as it is--please don't add to my troubles. 
«Law School»
1. The idea of going back to school keeps me up at night
2. What if I hate it? Then I've made this huge commitment 
and I'll (still) be an even huger failure. 
Not technically Halloween-y, but good & scary. So deal with it. 

«Zombies»
This one hasn't changed.
Just searching for a good image made me so scared 
that I had to listen to this for a while to feel better:

«Quitting My Job»
I spent a while unemployed. 
In the grand scheme of things, it won't have been all the long, 
but it was longer than I thought it would be. 
So even though my job is the absolute worst 
(and trust me, it is. I don't write about half
the ridiculous/awful things that occur)
I feel like I can't quit. 
My emotional/mental/physical states would improve, 
but the uncertainty of unemployment is too much.
[Being honest, though: of all the things on this list, this one scares me the least.]

Here's my 4 favorite Halloween movies:
And the 3 scariest Doctor Who monsters:

And the 2 best Halloween-themed music videos:


And my 1 favorite Halloween song-from-a-show:

No comments:

Post a Comment